Thursday, March 4, 2010

This Past Weekend My Husband

and I, but mostly my husband had the pleasure of helping one of our friend’s mom out. I’ll call her Nana.

Friday morning they woke up without power to three of the rooms in their home. They tried the normal things you would try if this happened to you. Nothing worked.

My husband said he would go take a peek to see if he could figure out what was wrong. He was able to fix it. Turns out it was a loose wire.

After he was done with that, Nana mentioned how she was able to purchase a newer washer and dryer from a friend who was losing her home, and how someone she knew said he would pick up the washer and dryer and ONLY charge her $25 depending on how far he had to drive.

Really?

We spent most of the day Saturday helping Nana get the washer and dryer, haul away her old ones to Goodwill and hook up the newer ones.

And we did it for free. Who charges a FRIEND money to do things like that? Especially if it’s in town.

That’s not the point of this story though. It’s a long-winded way of getting to the point. I have more long-windedness before I get to the point. Please bear with me. I can’t help it.

This wonderful, kind woman has watched our three children a few times before. Why? Because she likes to do it. And she has never asked us for a dime to do it. She even feeds them every time they come over.

In about two years my husband and I, along with our friend, who is Nana’s daughter, and her boyfriend would like to take a cruise. I’ve always wanted to go on a cruise, but I really do not want to take children and I have nowhere to bring them.

The dog kennel won’t accept children. Even if it’s only for a couple of days.

Nana said she would be happy to watch the kids while we’re gone. Even if she has to take vacation to do it.

Imagine that. Someone wanting to take vacation to watch our kids. For free.

I broke out in tears when she told me she would be more than happy to do this.

She looked a little perplexed and I explained how I didn’t think my own family would do it, even if we paid them.

Her response was that being paid wasn’t the point. The point was being able to spend time with the children.

I just cried harder. Where has this woman been my entire life? Someone who enjoys spending time with me, and with my children. Just for the joy of it.

I thanked her for “getting it.”

How come everyone can’t “get it?”

And by everyone, I pretty much mean my family.

Nana says, “God works in mysterious ways.” I am inclined to believe she is right.

I cry as I type this, but they are mostly tears of joy. I feel blessed that this wonderful woman has come into our lives.

It feels good to have someone to call family. I never knew family could make a person feel this good.

3 comments:

  1. First: *big squeeze*

    Now - YOU, lady, are a funny, kind, fantastic, special woman. I am only sorry it has taken you this long to meet someone as great as Nana. And kudos to you and your hubby, too, for helping her out.

    Too many people just walk by those in need, even when those are their own family and friends.

    Now, how do I apply to come on this cruise? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I am a mush. I'm crying after reading that. That woman is wonderful, and your kids must be so much more wonderful and yourself too if she enjoys you all!

    Great find! Now clone her and share her with the masses... or not and just keep her for yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a little teary-eyed towards the end. That's awesome that you found Nana. People are way too selfish in this world. Have the applications for the cruise come around yet?

    If you pay them a little extra the kennel will take your kids.

    ReplyDelete